Sunday, July 2, 2017

Yikes, if that's what's in my cabinet I don't want it


A few weeks ago there was a topic on my page about the issue women have with having unknown ingredients in their womanly items, and how companies don't have any legal obligation to tell us what's going into the products. I know news was dropped pretty hard, and I do apologize a little bit for the ball being dropped. But now that you've collected your pieces what if I told you that it wasn't just womanly items that aren't labeled?

Cleaning supplies are the same way. I know many people who use a pot of Fabuloso, an all purpose cleaner to make their homes smell fresh. I'm sure they wouldn't be doing that if they knew what was in Fabuloso, or they wouldn't be using it.

Okay maybe the attack on people's burning all purpose cleaner on the stove was a blow to the stomach wasn't too nice, or maybe doesn't have any effect on you at all. The tips listed below are from Generation Good's page it self:

  • The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) “has found that nearly 10% of all work-related asthma cases are caused by exposure to cleaning products.”CDPH is concerned that the use of some cleaning products in schools may contribute to asthma in students and workers.
  • About 8 percent of adults and children in California have asthma, with almost 200,000 new cases diagnosed each year.Asthma is much more prevalent in lower income communities
  • Children born to women who held cleaning jobs while pregnant have an elevated risk of birth defects, according to a 2010 study by the New York State Department of Health.
Wouldn't you like to eliminate some of your asthma medicines, or at least know what's triggering your asthma symptoms? Or possibly have your kids asthma curbed at least a little because their away from harmful chemicals. Generation good says that janitors, maids, housekeepers, minorities, children, and they said that California's department of health stated that cleaning problems caused 10% of workplace asthma. That's a bit mind boggling, and is quite scary?

I know, I know, you're thinking, "My breathing is fine, I don't have asthma problems." Which I do get, but let me flip the table a little bit, once I was sent a product from a cleaning company. It was an antibacterial spray, I was excited to use it because I wanted to get rid of germs. The bottle said it was all natural, but it didn't list the ingredients. I thought the price was nice if I had to buy more, but I Googled what was in the bottle. Would you believe that the only two incidents they had listed mostly everyone has in their house, water and salt. Salt water! Yeah, I can make my own spray for a lot cheaper.  Crazy right?

What can someone like you or I do? Raise awareness, raise it really good. How are people going to know if you don't tell them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment