Saturday, July 8, 2017

6 typical auto immune questions

Just recently I had written on my Facebook page, that I had one of those days where I couldn't spell, let alone read, my cognitive function was very low. It brought to my attention that usually with autoimmune stuff there's something called brain fog. You all know what it's like to be me, but that really doesn't help. I know for a fact it doesn't really help, I remember when my dad had flare ups, I didn't understand what was going on around me.

That made me remember all the questions he was asked, and questions I'm asked now. This is probably one of the weirdest lists that I have ever had but it needs to be done. I need to explain more about autoimmune problems. It isn't the symptoms or my journey I want to hone in on, I think it's probably best to talk about how people react when they hear the term autoimmune disorder and all of that happy stuff.

1) Isn't HIV autoimmune?
It is an auto immune disorder. HIV does attack its host like it happens to be their enemy, just like other autoimmune disorders. There are ways to treat the symptoms but the illness will almost always be there.
2) Because HIV can be spread can't other autoimmune disorders be spread. 
No, none of the other autoimmune disorders can be spread. As scary some auto immune system rashes get, or how much we're feeling down and low, we can not infect you with any illnesses.

3) Can't you go to your regular doctor and get diagnosed? 
You can not. Most doctors can help treat your auto immune disorder like most doctors can. But the rheumatologists, the gastroentrerologists, or even the neurologists who are the one's diagnosing. Clearly put, the road to the diagnoses is so long that the other doctors who know more about an illness will always be there.

4)But I've heard of people with autoimmune disorders getting chemo? Does that mean that it's like cancer?
While yes people get chemo for stuff like lupus. It doesn't mean that it's cancer. It has nothing to do with cancer at all. The percentage of people that use actual chemo for lupus is only about 20%, it's usually a lower dose of the treatment is used to help fight lupus.

5)"My family member died from an auto-immune disorder."
It really depends on the person some people have mild autoimmune disorders others have more severe and harder to treat lupus. It doesn't mean that the person is going to die if they have lupus. It's No matter what severity lupus is, sticking with your doctor(s) orders is the most important thing to remember,

6) Do autoimmune problems ever go away? 
They do not go away people can have them go in remission but, as going away totally, that usually (almost never) happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment