Monday, June 19, 2017

My weekly Holter monitor

Image result for lifewatch heart monitor
Image is taken from LifeWatch's Website
For the next 8 days, I'm forced to look like a robot. Did I say robot? I mean some kind of computer or something. For the next 8 days, I have an extra cell phone. This phone can't call out, but it can call me in case there's something wrong with me.

|What you're reading isn't something out of science fiction, it's all medical. I have an 8-day event monitor that's hooked up to me by little electrodes. It looks kind of cool, but at the same, it looks very odd, and it's so uncomfortable.

What's going on with my heart?
As of right now, everything is at a stand still. I don't know what's wrong with me with almost anything yet. What I do know is my white blood cells and platelets are evening out, finally, and are now in better working order, but my thyroid is a little over active, along with a bit of a racing heart. I guess saying a bit of a racing heart is putting it nicely, a normal heart rate is 60 to 100 beats a minute (according to the online sources I've read), mine on a good day is 110-130, and at doctors appointments, it's usually in the 130s. Which at my age is fine, but something like this later on in life can cause heart problems like congestive heart failure, and heart problems. With that said my NP, wants to see what's wrong or if anything is wrong with me. Which she said it may not be anything, but she wants to be on the safe side.

Updates on the auto immune
I'm still not sure what's going on with that. I think I stated it in the past that they want to send me to a neurologist before sending me to a new rheumatologist, which is cool with me. As long as I'm able to get answers and to feel normal again. I don't think that's asking too much. It's just physically and emotionally exhausting.

What an event monitor is
As much as I tried to take a photo of my monitor, I failed miserably, I can't take a picture of something that's on my stomach and I don't feel like moving it. An event monitor also called a Holter monitor is nothing more than a small ECG machine, that tells the doctor what my heart is doing while I'm wearing it. Usually, the patient writes down if they experience any symptoms.

My monitor
My monitor is a Lifewatch monitor, it's a bit more advanced that they have been in the past. Mine still hooks up just like the others do, five little electrodes are attached to my chest and are reading everything my heart is doing. But the thing that makes mine different is the monitor comes with a phone. I  really don't like calling it a phone because it doesn't feel much like a phone to me, it feels more like a monitor device. But since the company that makes this product can call you in case, there's an emergency or when the monitor needs to be removed.

Why it's a bit long of an interval to get results than most other event monitors?
While I'm not entirely sure, my best guess is it'll get better results rather than using one for 24 to 48 hours. The time span and activities of someone usually change those days and for them to figure out a pattern, and to help improve someone's life it's so worth it.

Taking showers and bathing
I really had to bring this topic up because people have asked me a few times if my phone or the monitor is waterproof, and what I could do to take a shower or a bath. In case you're wondering, no these are not waterproof at all. After my 1st 48 hours is up, I'm able to remove the monitor and take a shower as usual and put the monitor back on when I am done.


No comments:

Post a Comment